Friday, December 05, 2008

Poem

music

It's not usual that I apologize for my "art." I'll say before pasting this poem that Naija-bashing is not a sport I want to indulge in, I actually think it's a gorgeous bunch of land and people here.
Here goes Prophecy II: Blame Game

Prophecy II – Blame Game
Author: Tosin Otitoju
ootitoju@hotmail.com

How does it feel to be a problem?
Tell me, Nigeria. Let us talk.
What happened?

Is it…
me, us, the people,
who have slandered you
and named you scapegoat
to cover up our laziness?

Is it…
them, Britain, America,
who beat you as a child
then mock you as a large-limbed
but small-brained man?

Is it…
God
God
God
whom you call daily
who tells you to come back,
to wait, Oga no dey office –
Is it He that wastes your time?

Is it…
your wife, her name, Corruption?
Just marry another wife.
There are women out there
who make a man prosperous.

I don’t know why you have no money left
but I do know that when you stand up you will be praised
and the shame of the past will be quickly forgotten.
Let’s go Nigeria. Vamos.

The author is currently working on a collection of 100 poems, including the Prophecy series.

No comments: