Thursday, January 02, 2020

Do you have a New Year resolution?

They're usually not my thing.  I usually resolve to be much the same as ever.
That said, I could work on creating the habit of exercising and the habit of (I'm not sure) not not having a job-type income-thingy. 

Aquagym:
I don't get enough exercise, since all I do is sit and read things.  Taking a sports/exercise class would bring some fun physical and social activity into my life.  I actually took a reasonably-inexpensive weekly yoga class late last year, a five-minute walk away, and it was good, so now I'm going to see if I can find (or request) another class, with a different form of exercise that I prefer, like dance or swimming or, like, aquagym.

Edu or Strategy or what?
If I had a job, coupled with needing to take a little public-transport (as opposed to door-to-door chauffeuring) and walking, I would not be complaining about needing to exercise.  Which brings me to - oh yeah, as always, it seems I once again acknowledge a need to get a job.  Except that I don't...  Many jobs actually don't need doing lol.  And many times I start on a job and find I have too quickly eliminated the need for the job, or for my income.
Which is actually a problem.
I mean, I could teach again?  (Yes, I plan to do that when I grow up, like, my 50s, 60s, ...)  I could work in education for more money somehow?
Well, I've been saying how I want to be on boards.  But there again, the problem.  Example, you see a way you could intervene to make things better, but notice that it should properly be the workforce taking ownership of the functions and not the egghead-board-of-outsiders, and you (hypothetically) find that the intervention to get the workforce up to speed is in the works, or not in the works and never going to be, or ... I mean, at some point, life is one huge shrug - whatever.    ( Alright, I'll express that in a more positive/hopeful way: work-life is one learning experience after the other?   See?  Positive - I earn, you gain, I learn.  )

Less ginger 
In other news, I just isolated the source of my biggest health problem - how I get dizziness and symptoms of low blood pressure all the time?  It's the excess of ginger in my food.  My mother has fallen in love with ginger and been adding chopped fresh ginger into everything everywhere all the time - hopefully we can stop.  She also used to love garlic and put it everywhere. Both of these things are potent blood thinners, like aspirin.     Lord have mercy.
FYI ginger is very good for you, just not good for me.
Actually, one time in the past 2 years or so, my mother had a doctor-recommended daily aspirin that I thought might be useless or harmful.  That's not what I said to her directly, I only suggested that she maybe observe the effect just in case she found it unnecessary.  It must be that these things don't harm her and actually offer her benefits.  I on the other hand keep feeling I need to thicken my blood so to speak, to add a little fat to my diet for instance - my brain gets hungry.  Now I need to tell her about the ginger and to try to feed myself better going forward.
I got vitamins the other day, bought a bottle of multivitamins - oh, yeah, maybe I should take a swig of that now.
I'm really happy to have figured out the ginger thing, I was starting to get worried that I'd damage my brain or something.  Now I have the hope of exploring foods that make me feel more robust and alright.

This whole blog post is cheesy.  It's time to dance.


(One hour later) My mother is back from work, and we've spent the past hour talking about food - ginger, garlic, and their amazing medicinal properties and side-effects.  She says that just for me, of course she's going to stop cooking with both.  I'm lucky, eh.

Advertisement: Read my books.

5 comments:

t said...

My history with food :-)

Some years ago, I also stopped eating one of my favourite fruits in the world, pineapple. I'm sure I can eat some now, but at the time I had to stop because I liked it so much I had gotten pineapple-poisoning. It's pretty blood-thinning, that's one thing, but also unripe pineapple is packed with something called bromelain(e) which I read in large amounts would evacuate a foetus from the mama's tummy and could definitely evacuate the digestive tract in a way that could be very dramatic and disruptive, causing illness - which I observed. And bromelain is a meat-tenderizer too, which I observed - it hurt my mouth, all over, and my tummy, but I liked the fruit too much.

The other day I unknowingly drank some packaged pineapple juice and (of course) nothing bad happened. I'll still avoid pineapple, fresh or packaged, sweet or sour, especially as, once I start, I tend to get too much of it.

Mango is gentler. I don't get enough fruits at all these days.

t said...

Re: the workforce taking ownership rather than being excluded while outsiders invent wheels - oh, I've been thinking about that, and I may have an idea to incentivize and invigorate the ones within the staff that want to be involved, in spite of, there I go, more analysis, lol,
so yeah, I can include that.

t said...

I noticed garlic chunks in my mother's food a few days ago, and garlic elsewhere in the food too, and I'm thinking ginger too. I guess we weren't clear on how garlic and ginger were problems. I guess I don't know her that well. Now for several minutes she's been cooking with a lot of garlic and minutes before that I guess it was turmeric (I never knew she was into that, I thought turmeric was just an Indian thing, but she said she uses that too) and I've got very dizzy. I've generally felt well for a while so I'll try to carefully skip all the food and instead buy yogurt and things I like.

All through childhood it was curry, thyme, and "maggi" and of course salt, onions, but of course change happens.
Guess it would be too hard to mention it again that ehm, we once agreed not to cook like this...
It should motivate me to stop eating this stuff and/or to move out, move on...it's been a really long time chilling at my parents'.

The great thing is knowing, knowing what's making you ill if something's making you ill. I'm lucky to know, and thankful :)

t said...

I can understand and amend my approach to work. I already wrote about how I make work disappear. This is a great quality, and it's associated with what the business article calls efficiency innovation.

As you would expect, the business people don't think that making work appear is a bad thing. In fact, it is in the same article touted as the best thing: a so-called market-creating innovation. Why is this not surprising? The discipline is called business or BUSY-ness. In other languages too? In Arabic, work, worker, business have the same root-word, are almost the same word.

And so I continue to seek to embrace this important tool, choice, possibility, universe, the one that feels less natural to me but ya know, why not create markets sometimes, especially when "they are saying" that people need jobs, and would rather hate to have someone make their work disappear...

Embracing the power to inflate things and make them have more parts and activity than necessary ; as well as the power to (of course, as usual) streamline things and make them the simplest answer to the question so that people can rest...

The business-people also say that there is something called sustaining innovation. Follow the link in this comment to see the business articles.

t said...

I ate pineapple yesterday! :-) ! Joy.
Twice yesterday I ate about a quarter of a whole pineapple, and I feel normal now. Granted, that was a little too much, but I must get credit for not eating the whole thing.

It was very ripe, though it was today's breed of pineapple which may be sugary but not fruity in taste. Sad how we lost the most magical-tasting fruits and got these not-quite-there substitutes.