Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep

music

Having a ball in Nigeria. I'll be working at the Federal University of Technology in Yola, Adamawa State. I've always wanted to have students...seriously going to rock this party!

This is also the year of my NYSC, so just got out of the three-week orientation camp in Adamawa yesterday, and the work at FUTY is my Youth Service posting - I report for duty today and will be here until August 2009. The university is not really in Yola, as the name suggests, but nearly an hour away in Girei Local Government area, near Jimeta the business capital of the region.

Loving Adamawa so far. It's serene, green, hot, and the nights bring so many stars.

There's so much I could write about from camp - what a crazy time - but you know I'm more likely to chat about it one-on-one than do a long blog post. Briefly,
Pros of NYSC Camp: I got stronger/fitter, got a crash course in Nigeria, a great excuse to see Northern Nigeria and to get this university gig, met hundreds of awesome people and had some great discussions, kissed in Nigeria etc.
Challenges of NYSC Camp: eeeew the "toilets", no US Open tennis news, ...

Come on over and check out the pastoral splendour and colourful cultures of the Adamawa highlands and river valleys. Bring friends. Seriously. Let me know when.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tosin .. I was trying to track you down and remembered you have a blog. Looks like you are having a ball with NYSC. A few interesting first time activities :)

Ciao
Deepak