Sunday, June 13, 2021

Carbs from cabbage

I love food.  Right now I'm eating, before 9am, a large bowl filled with this mixture of warm-hot veggies mostly: Heinz-brand baked beans, cucumber, cabbage, tomato with eggs.  I woke up this morning and soon thought of food.  I could have chugged some yoghurt quickly but my body was not looking forward to getting more sweetened yoghurt, more sugar.  So then I decided to put in the time to fry an egg or two.  But my body was saying it didn't want the sweetness from bread either, so I got a large tomato and a section of onion to use in my now complex fried-egg idea.  I got a clean tiny pot, probably washed it again, then added a little oil, some salt, + ground pepper, did the onions and put them in, then actually whisked the egg a bit before adding, to make what some people called scrambled egg but we just call egg, fried egg.  I usually just do the fastest and simplest thing, which is to not whisk, especially since we learned that there was such a thing as not-mixed fried eggs - I said I love eating food not cooking food.  

Served my egg mixture in a plate and thought I would warm some sliced bread in a toaster.  Well, I just really could not bear to think about eating two slices of bread, somehow my body was saying no no, so I didn't warm the bread anymore, I put the whole thing away and decided to find something else.  I found rice, leftover boiled white rice in a pot.  I love leftovers because that's good food without the effort to cook, but the rice was frozen solid.  So I decided on the best thing - leftover veggies in the fridge.  Turned on the gas again, and did all the veggies I could find.  First I put the excess egg liquid from my food plate back in the same little pot, then cleaned and peeled, then added the stash from the fridge: spring onions, two old carrots, like 1/8th of a cabbage, like 1/3rd of a cucumber, then got from the store the can of beans, poured that on.  Got bored while it simmered so tried to move my body, dance, do warrior moves, think about stuff, then it was ready to pour.  My plate looked pretty, plate still looks pretty, I better hurry the food is getting cold.  I decided to make what we call tea but what some people call hot chocolate because it is a beverage made from cocoa not from tea at all, which meant turn on the heater thing and wait, mix the Milo and powdered milk - no added sugar - in a big mug and add some water which was still cold so I had to stillll wait, probably dance a bit because trying to cook is the most nonsense boring thing in the world, then finally, hot water.  

I guess you could say I eat consciously, with low salt (sometimes too low), low sugar (not punishingly, just by generally avoiding, even disliking, sugar-bombs), low oil (although sometimes I actively need more good fats because I have a big brain loool).  I got it from my mother and I think she probably got it from her mother who was a big-time nurse that worked in maybe every Yoruba town back in the day.  Her mother, that is, my mother's grandmother, I understand died a few years ago in her early 100s.  Let me go and check the bucket - souvenir from the burial, it's upstairs - for the details of her life/death.    
Yummm, I just ate a little more.  I'll be back.  She was 107.  Let me add pictures.  
Mrs. C.B. Olateru being my only surviving grandparent, and this woman being her mother.

I'm sure my food is cold by now but still delicious.  I eat in bed.  
Almost every meal...I spend almost all my whole life here - I sleep here and I read all the things I read here.  That's not the most active, physically healthy lifestyle, and besides the aerobic problems I should really worry about my fantastic, award-winning (in my head) bum going out of shape from lack of exercise (such as walking - what kind of exercise were you thinking?) but I'm sure it will be ok.  I wish us all good health and even better health.  Amen.   

When I made the hot chocolate I didn't feel ready for it, like I said I was not seeking sugar, but now after a bit of exertion - the effort to run around and take pictures, I guess I could use the sugar-energy from a cocoa drink, maybe not now but soon.  
Oh, you want to meet grandma?  Here's a 'selfie' from November 2020.  

Advertisement: Read my books.

3 comments:

t said...

That was yesterday.
Later I remembered that my first ideas for things to eat yesterday were likely, before I arose from bed, either cake (the last bit from cake my sister had presented for my birthday) or apple pie (which my sister made from scratch days before) but I would decide against them by time I was out of bed, probably because I was already feeling too sugar-filled or something with pineapple, grapes, very sweetened yogurt, and so on in my tummy/bloodstream from the day before.
The body knows what it needs or doesn't need.

Today I'm eager to eat nice things - leftover sauce from yesterday, the last of that rice, more of that apple pie, possibly a swig of yoghurt, already ate the cake before dawn this morning but there is more cake in the fridge now.

What was the other thing I was going to say? I heard one time that in Yoruba tradition, they use the mother's lineage for spiritual ID, like for divination for example, they would investigate yourname, whose mother is mothername. So when I remembered, I briefly felt regret that I had revealed so much personal information here. But I withdraw my regret because 1) it is not really so much information and 2) so often we fear that power over us will be used to harm when it is more likely that the power will be used to bless us.

t said...

Watching food happen on the fire is 'literally' like watching paint dry :-)

t said...

Just to clarify that in 'I got it from my mother' I was referring to 'eating consciously'